Monday, September 21, 2009

Vinegar hair rinse as conditioner



My fiance thinks I'm obsessed with vinegar. I think the stuff is awesome! It kills mold, removes soap residue and has anti-static properties. On top of all that, it makes great dumpling sauce and salad dressings! What's not to love? So I'm going to write about yet another use I have for vinegar: hair conditioner! Remember how I said before that it removes soap residue and has anti-static properties? Turns out those properties are good for you hair too. The trick is not to use too much.

To start, you might want to dilite 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water. If you find that this leaves your hair too flat, you can reduce the amount of vinegar per cup of water. When you're ready to rinse the shampoo out of your hair, slowly pour and rub the vinegar hair rinse into your hair. Yes, your bathroom will smell like a salad bar, which is an odd smell to be smelling when you're showering, but it certainly isn't the worst smell out there. Lol! Anyways, I always rinse the vinegar out with water afterwards. I do walk out smelling faintly of vinegar, but it disspates once my hair is dry.

If you use this regularly, it will strip the soap residue out of your hair, leaving it shinier than before. It also conditions your hair just like a store-bought conditioner, but without the unfamiliar chemicals. Long-haired girls in NYC will know how absolutely awful the static can get in the winter. I've had hair stick to bathroom stall walls all around me! Ever since I started using this rinse though, I have not had this problem at all. It's seriously wonderful stuff! Of course, I can only speak about my own hair, which is long, thick and very straight. I have no idea if this works on curly hair as people with curly hair have the most issues finding the right conditioner. For those with curly hair, I'm curious to know how the vinegar rinse performs. It may not work as well, but not having any curly hair, it's hard for me to say one way or the other.

4 comments:

kimelah said...

Hi!
I found your blog by googling "homemade lipstick", and then just kept on reading. :)
I have been wondering how to actually use an ACV rinse. I kept thinking/imagining using it after the shampoo has been rinsed from the hair, and then pouring on the ACV. Never thought of doing it TO rinse the shampoo from the hair. Thank you for posting this!

Jen. said...

Hi Kimelah!
Thanks for reading!
If you've never done an ACV rinse, I recommend one tablespoon ACV per cup of water. It may leave your hair feeling flat and limp for the first few times you use it and that's because your hair isn't used to it. After a week or two, start adjusting the formula. Less ACV per cup for a less flat feeling, more ACV for more conditioning. The trick is to find a balance to works for you.

Ever since my hair has gotten used to just a baking soda wash, I have not used an ACV rinse. This works for me but it took some experimentation to figure that out.

kimelah said...

I'm wondering what kind of hair you have. I have thick curly hair and it gets quite frizzy and fly-away if I have no product (ie: mousse) in it. I'm just now learning about alternate ways to care for hair, and it seems there's an entire section devoted to curly hair, or so it seems. I stopped using shampoo for about a week now, but I have to use it one more time to get rid of the product in my hair, as I realized too late it wasn't good product. the product has silicone in it, and only a sulfate shampoo can get rid of silicone. But after that, no more crappy product, I just bought some good gel from Live Clean.
Alright, enough wordiness, what I'm wondering is this: is an ACV rinse good for dry hair? I'm thinking about the acidity of ACV and its relation to dry hair. Would you know?

Jen. said...

To the envy of my husband, I have thick, straight hair. I have no personal information on going "no poo" with curly hair, but I did find a blogger that has curly hair and went "no poo." She uses an ACV rinse, but I don't think she does it every day.

I don't think ACV is too acidic for hair. In my experience, it helps my hair feel softer and more conditioned than otherwise. I found the baking soda wash alone, at first, was making my hair feel dry and crunchy and rough. As soon as I added the ACV rinse to the routine, my hair felt silky soft and smooth again.

In any case, check out this curly-haired blogger's experiences with "no poo" and ACV rinses:
http://www.loving-it-raw.com/no-poo.html