Monday, July 20, 2009

Putting a damper on the shopping bug

I love to shop! I really do! Unfortunately, I don't have unlimited funds, and with our current uncertain economic situation, it is more important than ever for me to try to keep my expenditures to a minimum. My old technique was always to ask myself the following questions when I want to buy something:

1. Do I need it?
2. Will it haunt me if I don't get it?

I found that generally, the first question doesn't stop me from buying something because really, I don't need much when I have all the things I need to survive. I just really want it!! It's the second question that's really the key here. If I'm going to forget about this thing once it's out of my sight, then there's no point in buying it. However, if I don't buy it, and I know I'll end up regretting that decision, then it's a sign that I should get it. I know I'm asking if it will haunt me even though I can't predict the future, but I think I can make a pretty accurate guess as to whether or not I really want something enough to keep thinking about it later.

Anyways, if you want a more mathematical approach to figuring out whether or not you should buy something, check this calculator out:

http://www.whatsthecost.com/BuyIt.aspx

No comments: