Thursday, July 16, 2009

Barefoot is better?

So I've noticed that there is a trend towards making shoes that help you walk, or at least simulate walking barefoot. According to the article below, Nike has also jumped on the trend, along with a few other athletic show makers.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/07/barefoot/

Still, the article says that none of the studies show conclusively that running around barefoot is better for you. For me, I'm sure it feels better than walking around on platform heels and am willing to try out some new-fangled stuff.

So one day, I read a rave review for Terra Plana Vivo Barefoot shoes. That evening, I went to the brick-and-mortar store down in the village after work and tried on a pair. Their smallest size is a 6, which is 1 size too large for me, but as they tend to run small and snug, it felt fine when I tried them on. Now, they are the favorite pair of shoes in my wardrobe. Though I can't say it feels like I'm walking barefoot, they are cute and very comfortable. Buying from Terra Plana also has the benefit of being "green." Though the shoe may not be made completely of recycled materials, it has recycled parts in it. I am a happy customer!

http://www.terraplana.com/yukam-p-945.html?colour=170

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Vivo ladies start in size 5. Please remove the insoles out for the real VivoBarefoot experience.

Jen. said...

Hi Ben,

They may well fit a size 5 foot, but the smallest number they offer in terms of sizes is a 6 and the website also does not have a size 5 listed. Plus, the guy helping me at the store also mentioned that they don't have a size 5. But like I said, the shoes do run small so someone with small feet should just try them on and see if they're comfortable in them.

As much as I'd like to remove the insoles, that would just take away the snugness of the shoes, which is what's keeping them on my small feet. I wear a size 5, but many size 5s run large on me. I need all the padding and help I can get to shoes on my feet!