Thursday, July 23, 2009

For the rumblies in the tummies

I used to have an "iron" stomach, but college food took care of that! Now I have a really sensitive stomach. It burbles and gurgles at the slightest inkling of unhappiness and causes me a certain amount of embarrassment and irritation. So what do I do for an upset or angry stomach?

Well, when I was little, my mom would make me congee, or watery rice. It's sort of like our version of porridge. It would be mostly flavorless, but she might allow me to have some pickled soy sauce cucumbers (I used to love those!) and dry roasted pork. In other versions, you can add a small bit of soy sauce to flavor the congee and add bits of salt egg and preserved duck egg. To make congee, just add about twice the amount of water you normally would to make regular rice. You can use broth too for more flavor. Congee is good for an upset stomach because it won't irritate it further, as it is part of the BRAT diet.

I'm a big proponent of the BRAT diet if your tummy is rumbly. It stands for: Banana, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. These are things that you can eat when your stomach is upset so that you can still get energy and nutrients, but your tummy won't complain more when it has to deal with them.

However, sometimes, you don't want to eat anything. Herbal remedies are good here. My favorite is ginger. Slice up some ginger and boil it in some water with some honey or a small spoonful of sugar for flavor. When you drink it, it warms you up from the inside and calms your stomach. Ginger is also my go-to remedy for any nausea and I swear it really works! Other effective tummy teas include peppermint (my favorite when my tummy is rumbly at work) and chamomile. Once, I drank them all together in a tea and my tummy calmed down very nicely! I think it works better than the OTC stuff!

No comments: