Monday, October 11, 2010

Two spatulas/turners

You know the utensil you use to flip omelets and pancakes and other general cooking purposes? I never knew what to call them in English. In Chinese, I think we used a word equivalent to "shovel." I suppose it's because it looks like we're shoveling the food around in the wok. Anyways, we tried out our fabulous electric griddle this past weekend and realized we needed a nylon or silicone turner for our griddle's nonstick surface. We had only metal turners or thick wooden ones that look like paddles. We ended up using a silicone spatula, which worked fine, but we were resolved afterward to buy a turner for nonstick cookware.

So yesterday, we headed over to Bed Bath and Beyond after work to get a turner and a few other things. While browsing the cooking utensils section, we were torn between two sizes of nylon turners. Ideally, we would go with the smaller one with a longer handle, but that particular specification did not exist in front of us. Somehow, hubby talked me into getting both and we now have two nylon turners when I only wanted to get one! Do we really need two turners in two different sizes? I don't think so. So now I have put one out in the kitchen for easy reach and the other one in the pile of less used kitchen utensils.

Upon seeing the pile of less used kitchen utensils, I am left wondering if we really need to actually keep any of them? A couple of the wooden spoons were left to us from hubby's grandmother's collection, but we really don't need 5 wooden spoons. We also have wooden turners/spatulas that came with our wok, which we never use because they're too thick.

Thinking about this further, we really have a lot of stuff that we don't use and really don't need. Many of those things are new, which makes throwing them out wasteful. I could just put them out by the front gate. Stuff that gets put outside often gets taken away by passerbys. Yeah, maybe I'll just put out the stuff we'll never use by the front gate.

Of course, the best thing to do going forward is not to buy or accummulate things that we don't need. Unnecessary things take up space, cause clutter and in the end, is a waste of money. It's not worth bringing home. Now, I'm not a minimalist or anything, but I find that the older I get, the more minimalistic I'm becoming. Who knows? Maybe 10 years later, we'll have nothing in the house but the barest of necessities. Haha! I'm dreaming. My hubby will never let that happen, being the cluttering pack rat that he is! :-)

No comments: