Monday, October 4, 2010

Homemade Toothpaste

I can't tell you how much I miss cooking, cleaning and knitting on a regular basis. Ah, the life of a homebody without wedding obligations is a life I've been wanting to return to for what seems like ages. So what other old habits are itching for a return?

Well, for one thing, I've gone back to searching for a good homemade toothpaste recipe. I am currently using a cinnamon flavored commercial toothpaste made by Tom's of Maine, but I'm finding the cinnamon to be really harsh on my tongue and lips. Particularly with my lips, they tend to feel hurt and dry and the toothpaste makes my eczema flare up on the corners. The issue I have with homemade toothpastes is that most of them use baking soda and/or salt as their base, and there is still debate about whether or not brushing with baking soda is too abrasive for teeth. I've been wondering if simply diluting it would make it less abrasive. After all, lots of commercial toothpastes contain baking soda, so there must be a way to brush with it without scraping off enamel. Some users of homemade toothpaste simply advise against brushing too hard, which is something I do. So, I found a recipe online that I might try, but I'll be taking out the salt. I think salt is too abrasive for my brushing habits. It looks like the baking soda should be diluted enough in this mixture and they use xylitol sweetener, which has shown some evidence of being good for teeth.

http://thriftysoaper.blogspot.com/2009/03/best-homemade-toothpaste.html

I don't think I'll be able to kick the commercial mouthwash habit though since a fluoride rinse is still important for oral care, and I think the fluoride in our water may not be enough. This is all speculation, of course. We'll know for sure whether or not my oral regimen works depending on whether or not my teeth fall out. Lol!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I want is homemade sleepytime mouthwash. I hate rinsing with mint when I want to go to sleep. It wakes me up.

Kira

Jen. said...

That sounds like a great idea! Maybe you should write to Listerine and ask them to make a non-minty mouthwash?