Friday, October 29, 2010

A conscious decision to change direction

This has been a fairly fluffy blog. I have made an effort to avoid controversial topics. However, I have been finding it more and more difficult to avoid posting about events that have touched me. I am a very opinionated person, and though I don't have an opinion on everything, I am very passionate about things that I do care about.

So I'm going to start posting more of my opinions and links to articles that has piqued my interest in one way or another. I'll probably go light at first and get deeper as more issues inspire me. The disclaimer to all this is that I am not always fully informed, nor am I unbiased. I'm just saying not to take anything I say too seriously. Feel free to disagree with me without being mean and nasty. I find it sad that it feels like the ability to have a civilized debate is dying away. I don't agree with my hubby on certain things and we'll argue, but it never devolves into accusations of stupidity and/or threats of physical harm. I have never ended a friendship based on differences in politics or religion. The way I see it, insulating myself with only like-minded individuals makes it harder for me to keep practicing empathy, and it makes it harder for me to break out of my comfortable mental grooves.

After all, being challenged isn't always a bad thing. We all just have to remember that just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean they're automatically a bad person through and through. There are always different points of view and different reasonings towards conclusions and having a civilized debate is one way towards understanding and compassion.

1 comment:

Hephalumpher said...

Cool! Heated but civil arguments rule :D.