Monday, October 4, 2010

Paring down my skin care routine

I'm thinking about ways to cut down on my skincare routine. Before weddings took over my life, I would make my own toner, lotion and creams. My toner is just aloe water and floral hydrosol. I use small squares of cloth or sponges to apply the toner and then throw them into the laundry basket. As for the lotion, I have a favorite summer recipe for a really light lotion. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get my act together to make lotion when I ran out earlier this year. So I end up just putting on a very light layer of coconut oil on my face as my facial moisturizer. I love doing it so much, I have no desire to use anything else. I particularly like it as a night cream. I did eventually make my lotion again and have been using it mostly on my hands and legs and any eczema spots.

Today, I thought more about my face routine. When I was a teenager, I used absolutely no products on my face and I never broke out. All I did was gently wash my face with cold water in the morning and evening and then let my face air dry. The key is to avoid touching your face. Your hands touch all kinds of things and dirt and grime can get trapped under your nails. So when you scratch that itch on your nose or rub your cheek, you may be depositing dirt on to your skin. Right now, I'd like to get back into the habit of not touching my face. I'm not sure about going back to just splashing my face with water and nothing else though. It's definitely cheaper, but may not be the best for my now-drier skin. For several days, I've been sticking to water only, just to sort of "reset" my face. I wanted to know what it feels like with nothing "treating" it and the verdict was, "pretty dry." So the past few days, I've been washing my face with only water and then applying a light coat of coconut oil. This routine only applies when I don't wear makeup, which is most of the time. If I wear makeup, I slather on some extra virgin olive oil on my face, wait a few minutes and wash it off with a clear glycerin soap.

It's all pretty simple, quick and easy. However, I'm still having a problem breaking the habit of touching my face. Lol! I'll have to continue working on that.

No comments: