Friday, April 22, 2011

Watering your plants

I have a black thumb. Every plant I have ever tried to keep alive has somehow died at my hands. Currently, I am struggling to keep alive two little moss terrariums at my desk and a little mini bamboo stalk at home.

One of the big mistakes I repeatedly make is either over-watering or forgetting to water my plants. I over-watered my moss terrariums and they've started turning yellow. I forgot to water my bamboo and the leaves started to dry up and fall off. Going forward, I can either shore up my memory buckets and find a better way figure out my watering schedule per plant, or set up reminders somewhere.

The other option is to set up a kind of hands-off irrigation operation. I found some really cool ways to water your plants without having to remember to check on them every day:

http://tipnut.com/garden-irrigation/
http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/07/how_to_create_a_simple_housepl.html
http://radmegan.blogspot.com/2011/02/coke-bottle-watering-globes.html

The buried clay pot method outlined in the first link seems good for outdoor gardens and the other two sound like they would be good for houseplants. Currently, I don't have an outdoor garden nor do I have any glass bottles I can use as a watering globe. The cotton wicking method is appealing to me though. I could definitely try that with my bamboo.

1 comment:

walter said...

Rather than trying to take care of your plants, you should choose plants that tolerate your lifestyle (and environment).
Some will die regardless. I've had plants doing really well for years then spontaneously die.