Thursday, August 13, 2009

The allure of silk

I have always loved silk fabric, and there really is nothing else like it. However, I don't like boiling the wormies in water to harvest the silk. Unfortunately for me, I am always drooling over the bolts and bolts of gorgeous silk fabrics every time I shop at Mood Fabrics, and when I say gorgeous, I mean GORGEOUS! I see myself trying to justify a one-time purchase of a yard or two every time I stand before the awesome racks of silk fabrics. For me, to touch is to yearn and dream of all the wonderfully draping skirts, wraps and dresses. In my limited experience, nothing drapes quite like silk.

It is this yearning that I am confronted with when I went to Mood Fabrics to look for bridal illusion tulle for my veil. To get to the tulle section, I had to pass by the racks of silk. I couldn't resist touching, and as my fingers envelope themselves in lengths of organza, brocade and charmeuse, I couldn't help but think about making an exception to my avoid-silk rule. In the end, I did resist. There was no need to purchase such fabric to make clothes that I don't need. Lol!

As for the tulle, they didn't have any beyond a 44 inch width. Ideally, I'd like a few yards of 108 inch tulle so I have lots of options when cutting my veil. As I realize that I'd have to look elsewhere for my tulle, I suddenly began to yearn for luxurious silk tulle. At about 80 to 90 dollars a yard, silk tulle is not cheap, and even many high-end bridal boutiques do not carry silk tulle veils. Certainly, my budget cannot justify such an expensive purchase just so I can feel luxurious for one day - especially when bridal illusion works just fine for only 2 dollars a yard. So though nothing drapes quite like a silk tulle veil, I'm sure it won't be missed on the day of the wedding.

No comments: