Sunday, March 31, 2013

Currently growing

Here is the list of what I have currently growing:

1 small meyer lemon tree
1 jasmine plant
1 big meyer lemon tree (probably about to die)
1 big washington navel orange tree (also probably about to die)
1 hindu rope plant (it was about to die, but is in recovery)
1 jade plant
1 aloe plant
1 spiny cactus (this is hubby's plant. I don't go near it)
1 baby bamboo
1 kalanchoe
1 sedum (think it's a donkey tail succulent but not sure)
1 small pot of moss
3 brandywine tomatos
5 little gem lettuce
3 angel's trumpet flowers
3 petunia flowers (planted 6 but only 3 germinated and 1 looks pretty weak)
1 small wonder spaghetti squash
1 luffa
3 lincoln peas
2 basil
2 thai hot pepper
6 garlic chives in a pot (just planted this past weekend)

Once the weather is warm enough I plant to plant the following:
3 kentucky blue beans
3 german butterball potatoes
1 maypop passionflower
2 calendula flowers
mother of thyme and sagina pearlwort on the bare spots in the front lawn

Once the fall comes around I'll plant:
more little gem lettuce
toy choi
spinach (need to get a fresh packet of these seeds)
maybe kale

Next year, if all goes well, I'll add the following to my repertoire:
yellow of parma onion
tom thumb pea
long island brussel sprouts
pingtung long eggplant
strawberry spinach
shirofumi soybean

We don't have a lot of space to grow things, so there might be space concerns going forward. I'm playing with the idea of succession planting, but I don't think I know enough about it right now. From now on, I'm going to try to order my seeds from the Seed Savers Exchange organization. They're a non-profit organization whose mission is to preserve our heirloom varieties of plants and vegetables, which are fast disappearing due to corporate farming and other commercial factors.

No comments: