Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The luffa has sprouted!

I had a packet of very old luffa seeds and finally decided I should try growing this year. I planted them in a small pot with potting soil and waited and waited. The tomatoes sprouted first, but still no luffa. Then the petunias and still no luffa. After that, the angel's trumpet sprouted and yet, still no luffa.

I began to think the seeds were dead and I might have to use the pot to grow something else when lo and behold! Last night, I spotted two seedlings! I felt a spark of joy when I saw them, but now I worry the growing season here isn't long enough. Perhaps I should have started them earlier indoors. In any case, if things don't go well, there's always next year.

Why grow luffa? Well, it's a wonderful natural sponge. You can decontaminate it in the microwave like a commercial sponge, but at the end of its life, you can compost the thing. Hubby doesn't like using it, but I think hubby just isn't used to it. Maybe if I cut a bunch of luffa into sponges and hide/throw away all the plastic sponges, he'll be forced to use them and then get used to them? Heh heh heh...

No comments: