Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Baked eggs, shirred eggs

I recently discovered the deliciousness of baked eggs, otherwise known as shirred eggs. It is simple, yummy, customizable and great with toast points. Perfect for an easy breakfast that can be made in a toaster oven.

All it takes is cracking an egg into an oven-proof cup or ramekin, adding a tablespoon of cream or milk to keep the egg from drying out and then baking it to the desired consistency. Bake longer for a firmer texture and shorter for a runnier texture. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper or whatever bits of cheese you have lying around before placing in the oven for flavor.

My favorite way of making shirred eggs is to preheat my toaster oven to 375 degrees F, crack an egg into a ramekin, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and back for at least 10 minutes. I bake until the whites are just set, but still a bit jiggly. If you like your eggs less runny, you may have to bake for another 5 minutes or so. When you take them out, the ramekins are hot to touch to I usually let it rest for 5 minutes. I usually can't wait longer than that to start digging in with a toast point or spoon!

No comments: