Saturday, December 31, 2011

New cutting board

I needed a new cutting board and got this one:

It is made of end grain acacia wood, which is supposedly a sustainable wood. I chose an end grain board because I read that it doesn't dull knives as quickly and it is sort of "self healing." This is because when you slice down, the blade goes between the fibers of the board, I guess it is like slicing into a bundle of skewers or something. Anyway, I have used it for a couple of days now and I am loving it! I have yet to see a knife mark on it and slicing on it is very smooth. After every use, I wash it with warm, soapy water. Then I dry it with a towel and apply a wood cream, which is just a combination of mineral oil and beeswax. The cream helps to keep moisture from seeping into the wood and also deepens the color and makes it look prettier. In any case, I am hoping this board will last me longer than my old plastic one did.

No comments: