Sunday, August 1, 2010

Crocheting a yarmulke


My fiance has a bag of yarmulkes he has collected over the years, some of which he inherited from his father's collection. Certainly, he could just wear one of those for the wedding ceremony, but we thought it would be cooler if I crocheted one. It's a fast project and very simple to do.

On the way to starting the project, we hit a few snags. I don't know what my fiance imagined a crocheted yarmulke would look like, but the pictures I showed him of crocheted yarmulkes made his facial expression say something like, "Ugh!" I was a little taken aback by this since I had already bought the yarn and was ready to start the project. I didn't want to start it after his reaction because I felt like what was the point if he didn't like it? I mean, what did he think it was going to look like? That's just the texture of crocheted items. His sister crochets. Doesn't he know what it will probably look like when I offered to crochet one? I can always just sew a fabric one, which is probably a much faster project, but I hate it when things are sprung upon me unexpectedly.

Anyways, when I saw him balk at crocheted yarmulkes, I unhappily offered to sew him one instead and at the time, he insisted that I stick to my plan of crocheting one and he promises to wear it. This didn't make me feel better about the project. Now I know how he really feels about it and it doesn't make me feel like this is going to be a much loved item. However, his not-so-soothing words means that I can continue with my original plans, which I suppose was some comfort.

Still, as I started on the project, I wasn't happy about it. I just didn't feel like he would appreciate the finished product. So finally, I confronted him about it and he said to send him pictures of the crocheted yarmulkes again. Since I already started on the yarmulke, I told him if he didn't like it, he can wear one from his collection and I'll just finish off what I have and have our raccoon, Rocky, wear it at the wedding. (Rocky is not a real raccoon. He is a stuffed animal and will participate in the wedding because raccoons have special significance in our relationship.) In the end, he again reiterated that it's fine and that he'll wear it if I make it.

In any case, crocheted yarmulkes are really easy to make. I chose a navy blue yarn to keep it in line with our wedding palette of navy blue and lavender. Most tutorials will tell you to chain 4 and the slip stitch the chain closed to make a circle. This will result in a tiny hole at the top, which reminds me of an oculus. Instead, I opted to use the magic circle (at least that's what I think it's called). It's basically a slip knot where the thread you pull to tighten the circle is the tail and you work with the other piece of yarn.

Pattern:

To begin: Make a magic circle.
Row 1: 1 sc into the circle,  then tighten the circle by pulling on the tail.
Row 2: 2 sc into each stitch
Row 3: *1 sc crochet into stitch, then 2 sc into next stitch.* Repeat from * to * till end
Row 4: *1 sc crochet into the next 2 stitches, then 2 sc into the next stitch.* Repeat from * to * till end
Row 5: *1 sc crochet into the next 3 stitches, then 2 sc into the next stitch.* Repeat from * to * till end
Row 6: *1 sc crochet into the next 4 stitches, then 2 sc into the next stitch.* Repeat from * to * till end
Keep going with this pattern until you reach the desired size and finish off. Do not chain and turn. Crochet in the round. You may use a stitch marker if you like to mark the first stitch in each round.

Remember to block the yarmulke. You can block it on the back of a bowl or other domed surface. It won't look like a yarmulke until you block it.

No comments: