Thursday, May 13, 2010

Salads

I have never been a big fan of salads. If I can have something else, I'll usually not opt for a salad. That said, there are some really delicious salads out there! Whole Foods has this awesome mesclun salad that comes with medallions of goat cheese, cranberries and walnuts with a balsamic vinaigrette. I don't usually use the dressing as the cheese and cranberries and walnuts pack a mighty big flavor already, but I'll dip some leaves in it every so often. If you can get your hands on it, or if you can make your own, it's well worth it!

Another salad I love is the iceberg wedge from Mermaid Inn. I absolutely love their lobster sandwich, which I no longer indulge in. Now the only thing I can have there is their delicious iceberg wedge. It's a quarter of a small head of iceberg lettuce with a deliciously flavorful, thin blue cheese dressing drizzled on top. It's not really a meal, but I always come out feeling rather satisfied when I'm done.

On my own lately, I've been packing my own favorite version of salad. It's not low fat, but it satisfies me when I want to feel like I'm being good by eating a salad. It's got baby spinach, avocado, pepperjack cheese, tomatoes and carrots. There's no dressing as it depends mostly on the avocado and pepperjack for flavor. I rather prefer it without the dressing. So here's the recipe below:

1 cup baby spinach
1 medium carrot, cut into little match sticks or sliced into thin rounds
1 quarter of a tomato, sliced very thin
1 cubic inch of pepperjack cheese, sliced thin
1/2 of a small avocado

Toss the spinach, carrot and tomato together and top with cheese. I then spoon the avocado out of the shell and place the spoonfuls around the top of the salad. That's pretty much it. If you're even lazier, just put everything in a big bowl, cover and shake it around. That's it!

1 comment:

Nuray said...

i LOVE avocado. on anything and everything!