Thursday, May 13, 2010

Casserole

I never made a casserole until I left my parents' place. Even then, I made it rarely. Lately, I've discovered that it is a great way to get rid of leftovers and other bits of food left in the fridge! It's also great cause it's an all-in-one meal.

My latest attempted included one small box of frozen spinach, some seitan cubes I had in the fridge, cooked rice, leftover onion and leftover veggie broth and some smoked gouda cheese that needed to be used up. I sliced and diced the seitan cubes and onion. For the veggie broth, I made a roux of butter and flour and added it to the broth to thicken into a creamy sauce/gravy. After I grated the cheese, I tossed everything together with some seasonings and an egg and baked it in the oven for about 45 to 50 minutes at 350 degress F. Then I sprinkled a little more cheese and bread crumbs on top and baked it for another 10 to 15 minutes. Gouda doesn't make for the best topping, but it was what was on hand. It actually turned out pretty yummy!

As a reference, I used this site to help me make my casserole:
http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciqi.shtml

No comments: