Monday, May 21, 2012

Container gardening

We have a shady front lawn the size of a postage stamp. I'm not kidding. It's really small and gets little sun. Even so, that grass is growing out of control! I want to get rid of the grass and plant other things there, but not sure what. Ideally, I'd grow edible stuffs, but I'm afraid the neighborhood passerbys might literally steal the fruits of my labor. I thought about just planting nice flowers, but I realize they can't be too pretty or expensive or someone might steal or cut those too! People suck! Most likely I'll just grow a patch of moss there.

Anyways, the back yard has a small patch that gets a really good amount of sun. It's actually pretty sad that we can't get more sun, but ce la vie! I've decided that I want to grow some stuff this year in the back yard. I had the top of the horseradish root saved from our seder so I stuck that into a pot of soil and left it out back. I also had an old seed packet of some flowers and pak choi and dumped those into pots too. Not sure if the seeds will grow since they're a few years old, but we'll see. Then there are the two tomato plants I got from the greenmarket. I will have to replant those as they're looking a bit spindly right now. I also got a pot of mint from the greenmarket. Mint and horseradish have to stay in pots because they have tendency to take over the whole garden. I've already snipped off some mint to make mint tea and it was lovely!

I really hope these plants survive!

No comments: