Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Ants climb on tree

Growing up, my mom used to make this wonderful dish with rice vermicelli noodles and bits of ground meat. There are days when I crave my mom's cooking and this dish in particular. One day, I finally asked my mom what the dish was called. She said it was called Ants Climb on Tree. I stared at her. Surely she must be joking because that is a pretty unappetizing name. But no, my dad confirmed that this is the actual name of the dish!

Anyways, so now I make my own version with TVP instead of bits of ground meat. I take a packet of vermicelli rice noodles and soak it in boiling water mixed with a few tablespoons of soy sauce. Meanwhile, soak 2 or 3 tablespoons of TVP in boiling water and soy sauce as well. Let it sit while you prep for other dishes. Chop up some scallions and set aside. When you're ready to put this dish together, Pour the noodles and TVP into a strainer to strain the water out. Heat up the wok and then heat up sesame oil in the wok. Toss in the scallions and when they're fragrant, toss in the noodles with TVP. Add soy sauce and sesame oil to taste and serve when everything is heated through.

Obviously, this isn't a meal in and of itself. You have it with rice (preferable the short-grained sticky kind) and other dishes. Because this dish is so flavorful and deep, it's best to serve it alongside something green like bok choy or spinach and something with protein like tofu with mushrooms. When I make it right, hubby goes Mmmmm!

No comments: