Monday, October 24, 2011

Living efficiently

Right now, my goal is to settle into an efficient lifestyle and routine. That means refraining from impulse buys, minimizing waste and being all-around frugal. Of course, this is easier said than done.

I have found that ever since we have moved into our cozy little house, I am more and more tempted to shop for the house. I feel the urge to accessorize it the way I accessorize myself with bags and jewelry. There are a number of things that we don't really need, but would be nice to have. For instance, I would like to get a new bamboo hamper, but we already have a hamper left to us by the previous owners. The old hamper is a perfectly serviceable hamper, but I keep thinking a nice bamboo one would just be so much nicer! Other desirable, but unnecessary items include a vanity organizer, a wine cabinet, extra flatware, serving platters, a big vase, an accent table, etc.. The good news is that I haven't indulged too much yet.

I try to ask myself a few things before I buy. The first question is, do I really need it? Often the answer is no because everything we need to use to live comfortably in the house, we already have. However, in a recent scenario, we had to buy a sump pump for our basement. Although it was something we wouldn't use often, it was definitely needed. So the second question is, if I get it, how often will I use it/enjoy it? Asking this question puts the hamper above serving platters or extra flatware because it would be something we'd use every day. This doesn't negate the fact that we already have a hamper and getting another one would be rather frivolous. So the third question is, do I have anything that can serve the same purpose? For instance, I want to get a vanity organizer, but I already have my combs toiletries placed in random glass cups on my night table. In a way, I already have a makeshift organizer so really, I could just save myself the money and not get a vanity organizer. On the other hand, there's that very last question, how bad do I want it? Another form of this question is, if I don't get it, will it haunt me? To be very honest, I am haunted by the stuff I want because I am being haunted by "the hungry ghost." The being with a huge stomach and tiny neck and is always hungry and never feels like enough is enough.

At the crux of all these questions that I ask myself before I purchase anything is, is it worth it to spend the money? At this point, I haven't bought too many of my desired items. I am thinking that in time, when I realize I still haven't bought these items and the house is still a great place to live, I won't want them anymore. Desire and consumerism is a tantalizing duo, but I think I'd rather not break the bank indulging in my consumerist impulses. Hmm... I guess we'll see. :-)

No comments: