Thursday, July 7, 2011

Homemade scrubs

Scrubs are actually pretty easy to make. At its simplest, it's just oil with some kind of sanding element like sugar, salt or coffee grinds. From here you can add glycerin, liquid soap, essential oils, powdered oatmeal, cocoa powder and all sorts of stuff. In the end, you want the scrub to slough off some dead skin and leave you feeling soft and clean.

Personally, I find that the plain oil and sugar/salt recipe leaves my hands feeling too oily. I've experimented with adding liquid soap a few times but always hated the resulting smell of mixing soap with oil. Instead, I've been adding baking soda, which has some cleaning properties like soap in it, but doesn't create a weird smell.

I also love using glycerin in my skin recipes. You can get vegetable glycerin at health food/pharmacy stores and online. Glycerin leaves your skin feeling hydrated which helps to keep your skin feeling soft for a while afterward. I use it in all my lotion recipes and it's also a great addition to scrubs.

As for the sanding element, my current favorite is white sugar. Turbinado sugar granules are too big and too rough. Sea salt is also too rough and harsh for me. I have white sugar in the pantry for certain baking recipes that absolutely must use white sugar in order to get the right texture. So hence, I make white sugar scrubs. Probably, I can make the same scrubs using fine salt, but I don't know if we have those. I stopped using the salt with the umbrella girl on it ever since I discovered how much better my food tastes using sea salt.

Anyways, so here is my favorite recipe to date:
1 part vegetable glycerin
1 part sweet almond oil (grapeseed oil will do as well. I like sweet almond oil because it is light and absorbs quickly into the skin)
Sugar (as much as it takes to get the consistency you like)
Generous sprinkling of baking soda

The above recipe happens to be one that I like. The thing about skin care stuff is that everyone has different needs. You should experiment and create a recipe combination that works for you.

No comments: