Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Macaroni meal, part two

My mom makes something similar, but much better. I haven't figured out what mine is missing compared to hers but even so, I love this meal. I call it a macaroni meal cause it has macaroni in it. Unfortunately, I eyeball all my ingredients so I can't give any exact measurements. What you see below are approximate measurements.

Ingredients
- 3/4 cup elbows pasta, uncooked
- 4 small baking potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 bag or box frozen peas and carrots
- 1 or two bunches of scallions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste

Directions
In a nice big pot, salt and boil the water for the elbows pasta. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook until pasta is almost ready to eat. Then add potatoes and frozen peas and carrots. Add water if necessary to cover and boil for a few minutes more, then drain. Heat up your wok and then add some oil. Once the oil is heated up, add the scallions and cook until fragrant. Then add the drained mixture and toss with salt and pepper.

This makes way more than two people can finish, which is great cause then I can take some to work for lunch. To me, this makes enough for 4 people with healthy appetites.

The original recipe post didn't have the boiling everything step. These days, I find that if you boil everything first, the potatoes cook faster and the veggies defrost without being torn apart when I'm shoveling them in the wok. Sure it alters the taste a little, but adding the boiling step makes life a lot easier.

No comments: