Thursday, March 17, 2011

Food containers

I can't get enough of hunting for a good food container. The obsession started with the whole BPA craze, when people wanted to stop using plastic. So originally, I purchased containers to replace our plastic ones. As I explored and purchased more containers, I realized that I enjoyed using my new containers much more than I ever did with plastic containers. Sure, plastic is less breakable and lighter, but there is just something satisfying about putting food in a glass or ceramic or metal jar. The solidness and weight of my containers make me feel sure that I have a quality, long-lasting item in my home. Also, I have no more problems with staining and pocking when storing tomato sauce!

My very first non-plastic container obsession were the glass containers from Anchor Hocking:
http://www.anchorhocking.com/prodd_4963_cat_300_bake_n_store_2_cup.html
I liked them because they came with glass lids, so there was no plastic or plastic coating touching my food. I also liked them because they are oven and freezer safe. I really wanted to be able to freeze foods without plastic. Unfortunately, my Anchor Hocking containers were not airtight, which means the food would get freezer burn in the freezer.

Then I went on the hunt for non-plastic, airtight containers because freezer burn is caused by dehydration and exposure to air. In my search, I came across Sanctus Mundo:
http://www.greendepot.com/greendepot/product.asp?prod_name=Watertight+Food+Storage+Containers&pf_id=SANCTUSSTEELRND&dept_id=4800&s_id=0&
Sanctus Mundo containers are made of stainless steel and currently, the rims of the metal lids are lined with silicone to make them airtight. The ones I bought years ago were lined with rubber, which eventually dries out and doesn't last as long as silicone. Although silicone is not natural, I'm willing to use it if it lasts a really long time. The Sanctus Mundo containers are probably my most oft used containers. Not only do I used them to store food at home, I also use them to bring lunch to work. Because they are airtight, I never have to worry about food liquids leaking into my bag. Thus far, they have been extremely durable, standing up to my carelessly rough treatment without so much as a dent to show for it. They are freezer safe and supposedly, they (without the lids) can be used on the stove and in the oven. I've never used them on a stove or oven, but I might try that one day. Still it would be nice if they were also microwaveable.

So my next obsession pointed back to glass containers. This time, I fell in love with Pyrex:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-12-Piece-Glass-Serve-Store/dp/B002PEVOR2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1300373585&sr=8-4
Actually, I've always loved Pyrex, but the particular set I fell in love with came with both plastic and glass lids. Like the Anchor Hocking containers, they are freezer and oven safe. Also like the Anchor Hocking containers, they are not airtight. What I like about the the Pyrex set I got is the price, size and shape. They are also not as heavy as the Anchor Hocking containers. Lately, I've been reaching for my Pyrex containers a lot to bake desserts, roast garlic and store leftovers.

However, I still need a good freezer container. The only freezer safe, airtight containers I have are Sanctus Mundo containers. Unfortunately, I only have a few and they are already in use ferrying my lunches to and from work. That means I have to get more. Luckily, I found out that there is a store called The Green Depot in the Village that sells them. I haven't tried them out in the freezer yet, but rest assured, it is on my list of things to try!

In the end, my favorite food containers are my Pyrex set with the plastic and glass lids, and the Sanctus Mundo containers. Currently, I'm considering obtaining some hermetically sealed glass containers, but I'm not sure if I'll get them yet. I have a good amount of food containers now and I feel like I should stay away from getting more until I figure out exactly what my current needs are. It's hard not to get all excited when I hear a rave review about a food container. I just love that stuff!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i, too, have been obsessed with glass food containers. i hoarded like 10 of them in the last year. lol. mine have the plastic tops though (they say BPA-free but it's still better to not have any plastic if possible). i usually try to make sure the food isn't touching the tops and i never store hot food in them, waiting till they've reached room temp.

--Nuray

Jen. said...

Yeah, I try to avoid the plastic covers too, but I'd rather use them than plastic wrap. At least the covers don't melt in the microwave like plastic wrap does! The truth is, the plastic covers are so convenient to use. The glass covers are nice, but I'm always afraid I'll smash one of them. Lol!