Monday, November 8, 2010

Versatile clothing - Layerable stuff

So in my previous post, I gushed about convertible clothing. Today, I want to gush about clothes that can be layered. There is nothing more versatile than a piece of clothing you can wear to a variety functions in a variety of ways.

Take, for example, a pair of comfortable black slacks. Black slacks can be dressed up or down, worn with pumps, sneakers or boots. They match most tops and can be worn in warm or cold weather. When it gets colder and the slack aren't warm enough, wear a pair of microfiber tights underneath. When it gets super cold, wear pair of knee high or thigh high socks over the tights. So in this case, these slacks can't be the slim-fitting kind. There needs to be some room for layering underneath it.

Another favorite item is the thin, v-neck sweater. This sweater can be worn alone as a top, or over a collared shirt or turtleneck. It can also be worn under a cardigan. It can be dressed up or down with brooches, necklaces or scarves and a classically-styled v-neck sweater never goes out of fashion! Of course, it doesn't have to be a v-neck. I just happen to like the v-neck.

Microfiber tights are also another indispensable item in my wardrobe. As I mentioned before, I wear them under my slacks for extra warmth. They can also be worn alone with a skirt. The nice thing about tights is that they are more durable than stockings and you can wear them with loafers, oxfords, mules, certain pumps and boots. I stick to plain black tights because it matches just about anything I have.

I also happen to love the basic cardigan. You can layer it over the above-mentioned v-neck sweater or wear it on its own. You can also use it in place of a summer jacket and it's super handy to have if your office air conditioning is too strong.

In terms of lighter wear, there's always the trusty camisole. You can wear it under your shirt, blouse, sweater, or just about any kind of top. A nice, plain camisole made of good material can be worn casual as well as dressed up. I've layered my winter wear with my camisole underneath a turtleneck underneath a v-neck sweater underneath a heavier-weight, long, button-down sweater. Yes, it's bulky, but it keeps me toasty!

Going heavier, a nice heavy-weight, long, button-down sweater is another favorite. I wear this when I want more coverage and warmth, and the cardigan is just not enough. It can also double as a fall or spring jacket in a pinch.

Some things that I've found to be helpful when choosing which pieces to add to my wardrobe. First, it's totally worth the extra money to buy something made with natural fibers. Not only are natural fibers more comfortable to wear, but also reduces static electricity in the winter. As a girl with long hair, and I can attest to the nightmare of walking into a public bathroom stall and having all my hairs stick to the walls! Alpaca is warmer than sheep, but if you have the money, pay for cashmere. Not only is cashmere really soft and warm, it's lightweight because it doesn't require as much bulk to maintain warmth. Silk is also a great material. It's cool in the summer and warm in the winter and nothing drapes and flatters you like silk. Silk can be dressed up or worn casually depending on the weave, cut and style. If can't afford silk, cotton is just as good for light-weight clothes. It's breathable, absorbent and very durable.

Well, that's all I have on this topic. Until next time, have an awesome day!

No comments: