Tuesday, November 2, 2010

It's NaNoWriMo, baby!



Once again, it is time for National Novel Writing Month! Every November the challenge goes out to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. Writing begins at midnight, November 1st and ends midnight, November 30. It is an intense amount of writing to do. I've tried to do it a couple of times before, but have never succeeded. This year, I have a writing buddy! Maybe that will spur me onto NaNoWriMo success in 2010!

Before I began this, I had some ideas of what I was going to do. Originally, I was going to prepare an outline for the novel, but never got around to it. So I am now just writing and letting the story take me where it will. I also originally planned to do a high fantasy novel, like the ones I was obsessed with reading in my adolescence. Currently, I find myself writing something more like chick lit taking place in a weirdly modern fantasy world.


It's only Day 2 in the challenge, so the story and characters are still being fleshed out. Right now, the main character is female and she starts the story at a low point in her life. After spending Day 1 writing the beginning, I got tired of it and skipped to another scene. Today, I can't seem to stay focused on my scenes, feeling uninspired and aimless. I hope that the novel will gain some substance and excitement as I trudge on!


Check out NaNoWriMo here:
nanowrimo.org

No comments: