Thursday, September 30, 2010

The honeymoon

We went to the Dominican Republic for our honeymoon and splurged to get the VIP treatment at the all-inclusive resort we stayed at. We had been there before, which is why we chose it. It was a safe choice and we totally love it there!

This was our hard-earned do-nothing vacation, so we spent our two weeks doing nothing but wake up, eat, slather on sunblock, sit on the beach, eat and drink some more. My hubby had a hard time disconnecting and never fully did that. I wanted a total disconnect from anything non-vacation, meaning I didn't want to read the news, hear about the news, check email, surf the web or check my voicemail. My hubby couldn't do all that and I did get annoyed with him when he read something in the news and tried to talk to me about it. He got the picture after I complained and he limited his conversations to news articles that were mostly fluff.

There's not much else to say about our honeymoon. We had a good time, relaxed and slept our fill every day. Our days on the beach consisted of us ordering drinks, eating hors d'oeuvres, watching the waves, reading and knitting. Every so often, we'd take a walk along the beach, play in the water and pet the "beach dog." I call him that because he hangs out on the beach on most days and is super friendly and sweet! He has soft fur and loves being petted. People also tried to feed him, but I think he mostly hangs out at the beach because it's a nice place to hang out and lots of people pet him. I'm not sure if he belongs to anybody as there never seems to be an owner around.

At the end of two weeks, we were actually quite ready to come back to NYC. Not that we didn't have a wonderful time or anything. We had a great time! It's just that we can only do nothing for so long before we start feeling a little restless. Also, the daily routine of slathering on tons of sunblock was getting on our nerves. That is one part I don't think I'll ever miss! When we landed in NY, I realized that there were definitely things I missed!

For one thing, I really missed the food! The resort's food was pretty excellent. Not only was the food delicious, there was a lot of variety. Most all-inclusives aren't as good on the food front. However, there's no beating the quality and variety of foods available in NYC! We also missed hanging out and chatting with our friends and family. Most of all, we missed our cat! I will say that the one thing I didn't miss was the daily commute. Oh well, the honeymoon is now over. Time to get back to the daily grind!

No comments: