Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Whole wheat No Knead bread

I finally jumped on the No Knead bread craze and made some of my own! I used a whole wheat recipe and replaced some of the whole wheat flour with 2 to 3 tablespoons of vital wheat gluten to help with the rise. I used the recipe from here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/08/dining/082mrex.html

I left out rye flour and the cornmeal and reduced the amount of salt. Even so, I thought the loaf came out a bit too salty. My fiance loves it though. I do have to say, that this recipe has produced the nicest, crusty crust of any whole wheat bread recipe I've tried. It's hard to get a good crusty crust on whole wheat breads, even with cold water brushing and and water bath on the lower rack. So, I am very impressed with this bread. I think next time, I'll reduce the amount of salt even more and add just a touch of sugar.

No comments: