Monday, June 18, 2012

Homemade blender mayonnaise

I love mayonnaise. Yes, it's bad for you and it's fattening but it is one of my favorite condiments. I totally love mayonnaise!

Anyways, in the past, when I've made my own mayonnaise, I've done it by hand. I would whisk and whisk vigorously and my arm feels like it's going to fall off. Generally, I've used Alton Brown's recipe here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mayonnaise-recipe/index.html
This recipe creates a nice thick, creamy mayonnaise, but the vinegar part, I'm not a big fan of. Also, this recipe uses a yolk, which leave you with an egg white just sitting around wondering what you're going to do with it. Plus, it's so tiring to make that I've only made it a handful of times, preferring to just buy a jar.

So then I came upon this recipe here:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-egg-mayonnaise/
Not only does this recipe uses whole eggs, but it can be made with my immersion blender! I tried it out this past weekend with some alterations. First I substituted the vinegar with lemon juice. Instead of dry mustard powder, I used spicy Dijon. I also salted to taste. Everything was room temperature and I put everything except the oil into a wide mouthed jar and used my immersion blender to start the emulsion. Then I slowly poured in the oil and voila! Yummy mayonnaise! Now I don't say this lightly, but I think it tastes better than Hellmann's, which is my favorite brand!

YUM!

No comments: